We divide our business into four service segments:
- Kitchen and bathroom - from small-scale renovations to complete design-build remodeling
- Deck and outdoor living - from garden fences to landscaping
- Custom projects - when you need the skills of a fine craftsman
- Quality handyman - for all your minor repairs and maintenance
Our experience in a variety of construction trades and project management allows us to bring the right blend of skills to your project from our in-house crew and, where appropriate, hire and manage sub-contractors.
Our core skills are as follows:
- Cabinets & millwork
- Finish carpentry
- Rough carpentry
A personal service with the emphasis on communication
Choosing the right construction firm is primarily about getting people with the right skills and experience for the job. But opening your home or business to tradespeople is also a personal matter - especially if the work is going to take a long time to complete.
MHS-Works understands the importance of personal service. We are a small business, so the work will be carried out either by our proprietor, Matt Sparks, or under his supervision by one of his small team of carefully chosen assistants.
Throughout the process, from careful preliminary planning to detailed budgeting and project specifications, we will keep you fully informed of our progress. This will include regular updates on our time and costs, materials outlays and performance against the agreed timeline.
Our workplace standards
We understand the importance of a clean work site and will respect the security and well-being of your home, family and pets. We pride ourselves on our dust-capture system and in the thoroughness of our clean-up. Towards the end of the project, we will walk you through our work, compiling a punch list which, once taken care of, will see the project concluded to your complete satisfaction.
An increasing number of our clients are opting to use renewable materials, efficient systems and low volatile organic compound (“VOC”) products in the pre-construction and construction phases of our projects. This reduces the impact on the environment in general and helps create living spaces with a high indoor air quality. The “off-gassing” of VOCs contributes to the fact that most houses have a lower air quality inside than outside.
A selection of the environmentally-friendly choices open to our clients is as follows:
- Reducing the use of unsustainable hardwoods and using alternatives such as cork, bamboo and coconut.
- Reducing the use of engineered woods that contain formaldehyde, like standard MDF, particle board & plywood, using clean alternatives instead.
- Reducing the use of paints, finishes, thinners and adhesives with a high VOC content and selecting products that have been produced with a low VOC content or VOC capture technology.
- Planning the use of materials to minimize waste, and recycling or reusing materials where possible.
- Replacing old fiberglass insulation (often made with formaldehyde) with sustainable green materials, e.g. cotton & cellulose.
- Using fluorescent and LED alternatives instead of incandescent lighting.
- Using tankless water heaters, pipe insulation and water circulation sytems that dramatically reduce water waste due to ‘time to run hot’ and wasted heat.